First, I agree with Blake, this was a very lackluster year for gaming. With that in mind…
Top 5 2014:
5. Alien: Isolation – incredible atmosphere, nailed the vibe of the orignal Alien perfectly.
4. Destiny – Gorgeous graphics, solid engine (its pretty much Halo reskinned) but far to many stumbles out of the gate (loot system, constant mechanic tweaking by bungie, pointless events, repetitive level design, cringeworthy writing, absent plot, and what seemed like a one day campaign) to earn GOTY. I poured a TON of time into this game. Maxed out my warlock, came close with a titan, didnt bother with hunter cause i hated how they played. Once i quit playing it to move on to other games i wanted to find time for, the rose colored glasses wore off and there has been no draw whatsoever to bring me back. Felt very similar to when I broke free of WoW.
3. Far Cry 4 – incredibly fun sandbox. everything from taking out a stronghold bow and arrow style to carpet bombing herds of rhinos with c4 from a gyrocopter. Protagonist not as interesting this time around but solid game none the less. No technical problems Ive experienced.
2. Super Smash Bros Wii U – Brandon, i felt the same way about Mega Man, but being the Mega Man super fan I am, i said NO. Several youtube videos later I learned some killer combos and now the blue bomber is my go-to fighter. Sorry Luigi. Give him another chance.
1. Mario Kart 8 – out of the box fun, no technical problems, nintendo polish to the max. A game i can pick up today and its just as fun as day one. Truly GOTY worthy.
Games that COULD be on this list, but being a responsible adult with a full time job and a wife, I did not have time to play…
Dragon Age Inquisition – have heard nothing but good about this one.
Shadow of Mordor – this one is grabbing GOTY awards left and right
Shovel Knight – who says GOTY has to be a AAA title? Another one getting non-stop praise
Dark Souls 2 – i was obsessed with Dark Souls and i waited out on 2 to see if it would be released next-gen…and glad i did!
Top 5 Disapointments
5.Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros – Metal Gear is up there with Mega Man with me. I derived less enjoyment out of this than i did PT and PT was free and about 10 minutes long.
4. Destiny – Yep. Its on both lists. it earned a slot up top cause at its core, it has a top notch shooter mechanic…but thats about it.
3. Infamous Second Son – Huge fan of the first 2. Then they ruined the climbing mechanic somehow and the most interesting power to me (concrete) you didnt get till the VERY end…and it SUCKED.
2. Watchdogs – Holy Christ…what the hell happened???
1.WATCHDOGS- Yeah! TWICE! You know you deserve it.
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Enter your email to receive the latest posts, reviews, and geekery!